Location: Los Angeles (HQ in Downtown LA)
Who is Larta Institute?
Larta Institute is a non-profit organization accelerating innovation and entrepreneurship.
Our mission is to foster science and technology innovation for a sustainable planet.
Our planet is experiencing significant global problems created by human behavior and policies affecting the environment, food, education, energy, and healthcare systems. New science and technology play a critical role in transforming how we sustainably feed, fuel, and heal the world.
Larta was founded in 1993, in Los Angeles, as one of California’s regional technology alliances to stimulate the economic development of technology-based enterprises in Southern California. Larta quickly became the national partner for numerous federal government agencies to commercialize novel research and innovation – including DARPA, NIH, DOE, NSF, NIST, NOAA, and USDA.
Today, our innovation platform and ecosystem accelerate new science and technology from idea to sustainable enterprise – by providing a unique combination of connections, resources, and funding. We have helped over 4,500 startups, and our alumni have raised over $6.5 billion in funds.
What is the role?
We are seeking a highly motivated self-starter with exceptional multi-tasking and writing skills and passion for technology-driven innovation to join the Larta team. This internship is a great opportunity to get your feet wet in the intersection of technology and entrepreneurship. Candidates’ majors and interests should align with our organizational mission and culture to ensure a good fit for the internship.
What will you do?
The Project Management Intern, Focus Area will assist with program operations, professional services, strategic initiatives and special projects undertaken to accomplish Larta’s goals and mission.
The Intern will be involved in every aspect of program management, planning and execution of strategic initiatives and special projects. Sample work includes market research, identification of potential strategic partners and solicitation opportunities, proposal development, data analytics, connecting with potential strategic partners, and help planning and coordinating related events.
Larta’s current client portfolio includes recipients of SBIR/STTR (Small Business Innovation Research/Small Business Technology Transfer) awards from various U.S. Federal agencies as well as companies from the private sector. These programs are designed to assist innovative entrepreneurs and university researchers with various commercialization activities including customized business consulting, intellectual property assessment, market research, pitch deck review, company financials, introduction to key industry stakeholders and potential investors, website design, marketing, and branding.
This role will give you an opportunity to identify and perform due diligence on SBIR/STTR awardees who are interested and ready to pursue private fundraising (beyond government awards). The Intern will also have an opportunity to engage with potential public and private strategic partners and learn about some of the most exciting technology innovations towards a sustainable planet.
What would my day look like?
- Interact with management to review organizational goals, work priorities, work plans, deliverables, KPI’s etc.
- Create PowerPoint presentations and Excel worksheets.
- Perform data analytics, interpret results.
- Help identify potential candidates for Venture Studio initiative (companies interested and ready to pursue private financing).
- Assist on due diligence of Venture Studio candidates, summarize findings, conclusions, recommendations.
- Help assess review and analysis of promising start-ups.
- Communicate with potential strategic partners.
- Identify potential new solicitation opportunities.
- Assist with proposal development.
- Assist with logistics for external conferences/events.
- Assist in QA/QC of deliverables and reports.
- Assist management with data and impact stories.
- Assist management on strategic projects as needed.
- Additional duties as assigned
What skills and experience does Larta require?
- Working towards a Bachelor’s or advanced degree (preferably in business, economics, life sciences/energy/food and agriculture/marine and oceans/education and community/environmental-related fields).
- Passionate about Larta’s mission to identify, nurture and scale technologies that are changing the world for better
- Highly skilled in data analytics and presenting data with charts, graphs and other tools.
- Strong proficiency in Office 365, specifically Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Interest in technology, innovation and entrepreneurship preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and simultaneously manage multiple issues and assignments in a fast-paced environment.
- Proactive, self-starter, engaged with high time management and organizational skills
- Problem solving attitude, strong team player and ability to work with others
- Familiarity with vocabulary, concepts and theories of innovation, entrepreneurship and international development preferred.
- Commitment to internship for at least 4-6 months; longer commitments preferred
- Available to work a minimum of 15 hours per week
- Strong presentation skills and professional presence
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Larta Institute is committed to providing an accessible, safe, respectful, and welcoming environment for all. Our Anti-Discrimination Policy aims to ensure that all members of the Larta Institute community – including our staff, startup founders, mentors, government officials, industry executives, investors, speakers, sponsors, donors, advisory board members, and other community members – are treated with dignity and respect in an open culture that is free from harassment, discrimination, violence, and other inappropriate conduct.
Larta Institute is committed to diversity, equitable access, and inclusion.
Hourly Pay Rate: $15.00
Employment Status: Internship
How to Apply
Please send a customized cover letter outlining your background and suitability for this position with Larta Institute and a resume highlighting your relevant experience to email@example.com. Please submit with the following subject line: “Application to Larta Institute – Project Management Intern, Focus Area”.
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at management’s discretion.
Larta Institute is an equal employment opportunity employer. We consider individuals for employment or promotion according to their skills, abilities, and experience. We believe that it is an essential part of Larta’s overall commitment to attract, hire and develop a strong, talented, and diverse workforce. Larta Institute is committed to complying with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination as defined by both California and federal laws.