Reports to: Brand, Marketing and Communications Lead
Location: Los Angeles (HQ in Downtown LA)
Who is Larta Institute?
Larta Institute is a non-profit organization accelerating innovation and entrepreneurship.
Our mission is to foster science and technology innovation for a sustainable planet.
Our planet is experiencing significant global problems created by human behavior and policies affecting the environment, food, education, energy, and healthcare systems. New science and technology play a critical role in transforming how we sustainably feed, fuel, and heal the world.
Larta was founded in 1993, in Los Angeles, as one of California’s regional technology alliances to stimulate the economic development of technology-based enterprises in Southern California. Larta quickly became the national partner for numerous federal government agencies to commercialize novel research and innovation – including DARPA, NIH, DOE, NSF, NIST, NOAA, and USDA.
Today, our innovation platform and ecosystem accelerate new science and technology from idea to sustainable enterprise – by providing a unique combination of connections, resources, and funding. We have helped over 4,500 startups, and our alumni have raised over $6.5 billion in funds.
What is the role?
Reporting to the Brand, Marketing and Communications Lead, the Senior Manager, Events (Startup Ecosystem) will engage with Larta’s startup ecosystem & community to build awareness of Larta’s mission and programs and to manage high-quality startup community programming (including venture recruitment sessions, accelerator programs, demo days, and industry networking).
The Manager’s primary responsibility will be hands-on planning and execution (pre- to post-production) of a portfolio of events designed for Larta’s diverse startup community – including startup founders, alumni, government agencies, academia, investors, foundations, mentors, and industry.
The Senior Manager, Events (Startup Ecosystem) fills a critical role in engaging and growing Larta’s startup community.
What would my day look like?
- Coordinate the creation, planning, and execution for all Larta events, specifically:
- Planning – understand needs across Larta and effectively translate into actionable plans
- Scheduling – maintain and communicate Larta’s annual events calendar across our community
- Logistics – plan and execute all pre-, on-site, and post-events logistics for all virtual and live events,
- Communications – communicate detailed events logistics in a clear manner to various stakeholders
- Budgeting – create detailed events budgets and collaborate with the finance team as needed
- Plan and execute all logistical aspects of Larta’s annual flagship industry event (Sustainability Showcase)
- Create event materials & content and ensure Larta’s identity is implemented consistently across all events
- Develop timely deployment of events’ communication campaigns to engage our community
- Conduct research on event themes to ensure relevance and timeliness of content
- Serve as the internal go-to source for all elements related to event logistics planning
What skills and experience does Larta require?
- Experience with new science & technology innovation, impact ventures, and/or startup ecosystem
- Passionate about creating social impact for a more sustainable planet and DEI
- Ability to collaborate with culturally diverse staff across internal teams and our startup ecosystem
- Experience working with non-profit organizations, investors, and government agencies is a plus
- Bachelor’s or equivalent experience required, events or communications related field is a plus
- 3-4 years of professional experience in events planning, management, and hands-on execution
- Working knowledge and deployment experience in the use of technology used in events
- Results-oriented, organized with attention to detail, and exemplary interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to develop and oversee budgets and vendors, and report on impact and return-on-investment
- Ability to thrive in high-pressure situations with a high attention to detail
What we offer!
Larta Institute offers a competitive and attractive compensation and benefits package, as follows:
- Full-time employment within a mission-driven, non-profit organization
- An open, diverse, and inclusive culture, with a commitment to job stability and personal growth
- Opportunities dedicated to personal and professional development
- Annual performance bonus potential
- Paid vacation, holiday, and sick time
- Paid time off for one week during the end of year holidays
- Health insurance coverage, with low employee premium contribution
- 401(k) with employer match
- Subsidized parking or transportation
- Monthly reimbursement on data package (internet/mobile)
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Larta Institute is committed to providing an accessible, safe, respectful, and welcoming environment for all. Our Anti-Discrimination Policy aims to ensure that all members of the Larta Institute community – including our staff, startup founders, mentors, government officials, industry executives, investors, speakers, sponsors, donors, advisory board members, and other community members – are treated with dignity and respect in an open culture that is free from harassment, discrimination, violence, and other inappropriate conduct.
Larta Institute is committed to diversity, equitable access, and inclusion.
Employment Status: Exempt
Salary range: $71,000–$85,000
Seniority Level: Senior Manager
How to Apply
Please send a customized cover letter outlining your background and suitability for this position with Larta Institute and a resume highlighting your relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit with the following subject line: “Application to Larta Institute – BMC Senior Manager, Events (Startup Ecosystem)”.
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at management’s discretion.
Larta Institute is an equal employment opportunity employer. We consider individuals for employment or promotion according to their skills, abilities, and experience. We believe that it is an essential part of Larta’s overall commitment to attract, hire and develop a strong, talented, and diverse workforce. Larta Institute is committed to complying with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination as defined by both California and federal laws.
- Civic and Social Organization
- Science and Technology Innovation