Location: Los Angeles (HQ in Downtown LA)
About Larta Institute
Larta Institute is a non-profit organization accelerating innovation & entrepreneurship. Our mission is to foster science & technology innovation for a sustainable planet. Our planet is experiencing significant global problems created by human behavior and policies affecting the environment, food, education, energy & healthcare systems. New science & technology plays a critical role in transforming how we sustainably feed, fuel, and heal the world. Larta was founded in 1993, in Los Angeles, as California’s regional technology alliance to stimulate the economic development of technology-based enterprises. Larta quickly became the national partner for numerous federal government agencies to commercialize novel research & innovation – including DARPA, NIH, DOE, NSF, NIST, NOAA, and USDA. Today, our innovation platform & ecosystem accelerates new science & technology from idea to sustainable enterprise – by providing a unique combination of connections, resources, and funding. We have helped over 6,000 startups, and our alumni have raised over $5BN in funds.
Together, let’s feed, fuel, and heal the world.
We are seeking a highly motivated graduate with a passion for science and an abiding interest in mission-based entrepreneurship to join the Larta team. This fellowship is designed for the graduate looking to participate meaningfully in assisting with the growth and development of technological solutions and innovations that provide solutions for the company and its clients, including internal staff, principal advisors, and startups.
Fellows are involved in multiple activities, for e.g., analyzing the specific impact of technologies applied to company’s needs, testing existing solutions and providing feedback for improvements, research and help to select new technologies and platforms to serve company needs, working with the stakeholders of the Portal to gather requirements, suggest process and implementation improvements, and working on information services architecture and tools.
We are targeting those individuals who can work effectively in a virtual environment and for whom a Larta Fellowship would meet their professional development objectives. In the course of the 6–9-month engagement, a Fellow will work on several projects, providing technological solutions, implementing new features and functionalities, testing and fixing bugs and issues, gathering requirements, working closely with the team to architect and implement these requirements, refactor, and optimize existing code, recognize and localize places in our solutions where we could benefit from utilizing ML and AI. The candidate’s major areas of study and interests should align with our organizational mission and culture. Given Larta’s national and global reputation, the body of knowledge, and networks of influence, the Ideas, Energized Fellowship itself is an honor that should be considered a mark of excellence.
What will you do?
As a Fellow, you should be able to review, understand and utilize technical documentation and requirements, as well as written material to improve and advance the innovations we serve. Excellent analytical, verbal/written communication, and interpersonal skills are necessary. The Larta Fellow will provide strategic support to Larta’s technology and software development team in the following ways:
What would my day look like during the Fellowship?
- Work closely with the Software Engineering team on gathering and understanding business requirements from Program Managers, Marketing, and other internal business partners.
- Work with the team to implement new features and update existing functionality as described in requirements.
- Research needs and implement, where applicable, machine learning (ML) engines to improve targeting and matching between startups and Principal Advisors.
- Integrate AI engines to suggest best paths for Larta’s cohorts of start-ups to manage grant and other funding and utilize the Larta Institute network.
- Apply analytics to existing data to discover under-utilized resources or new paths for optimization of current workflow.
- Document processes and research results related to software development and business programs.
What skills and experience does Larta require?
- Currently enrolled in a Graduate or Doctoral degree program for computer science or data science.
- Practical experience and knowledge in: C#, node.js, Python, web development, BI tools, statistics, understanding of ML and AI, data structures and algorithms, algorithm optimization.
- Good working knowledge and experience with tools like Visual Studio, Confluence, GIT and Azure.
- Familiarity with or interest in the vocabulary of innovation, entrepreneurship and international development preferred. Some exposure to entrepreneurs, accelerators or incubators would be a plus.
- Commitment to fellowship for 6-9 months; longer commitments preferred.
- Available to work a minimum of 10 hours per week.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Office 365, specifically Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Skilled at data analytics and presenting data with graphs, charts, and other tools.
- Strong presentation skills and professional presence
Hourly Pay Rate: $18.00
Employment Status: Fellowship
Openings: Ongoing Opportunity
How to Apply
Please send a customized cover letter outlining your background and suitability for this position with Larta and a resume highlighting your relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit with the following subject line: Ideas Energized Fellowship.
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at management’s discretion.
Larta Institute is an equal employment opportunity employer. We consider individuals for employment or promotion according to their skills, abilities, and experience. We believe that it is an essential part of Larta’s overall commitment to attract, hire and develop a strong, talented, and diverse workforce. Larta Institute is committed to complying with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination as defined by both California and federal laws.